Friday, February 9, 2007

Howdy Doody

I don't like school, and there are few things I hate more than reading a book I'm forced to read for some heinous class where people spout off simply to sound smart and hear their own voices. I am not an intellectual; I don't sit in hipster filled New York cafes sipping on Chai Lattes with my arty friends talking about existentialism or ethnic wars in Africa. However, I do know pop culture and I'd rather read US Weekly and put Britney Spears and OK GO on blast and dance around my apartment. I'd go as far as to say I'm a "pop culture connoisseur," and if I could have a monetarily successful job as one, I sure as hell would. For a lot of people being pop culture savvy is a waste of time and energy; why focus on who Angelina is screwing or what other movie that hot guy from "Mean Girls" is in when there is an AIDS crisis and Darfur? Why, my friends? Because it's what I like. It's entertaining to me and honestly, that's all that matters.

This all being said, Tres Chic A-train is going to chronicle the top trends in pop culture and the world around us. If this is something that interests you as much as it interests me, than check in every so often, laugh a little (hopefully) and feel free to leave a comment.

Chuck Klosterman, an author and pop culture junkie himself (if pop culture was a college, his major would be Rock 'n Roll) said this about his exploits in the literary world, "The essays are different because ultimately it's things I'm interested in, and I'm really just writing about myself and using those subjects as a prism." So, maybe that's what I'm doing here. "Tres Chic A-train" is who I am; I'm a girl who enjoys the finer things in life (tres chic), but burps, walks into walls and always enjoys a guilty pleasure such as a fart joke or a greasy grilled cheese sandwich (a-train). I live in a small apartment with mice and cracks in the walls and I sleep in the living room. However, I strut around the streets of Manhattan (or cab it even if I only have $5 left in my pocket because it's simply too cold and my feet hurt from my really cute heels) with a real Speedy, not the Chinatown knock-off, looking to experience every fabulous thing that life has to offer. So, maybe I'm writing about myself, or the world I fantasize about being actively involved in. Either way, I think it rocks. I hope you do too.

ENJOY!

6 comments:

Jeanette said...

AMEN! haha. this should be great! Can't wait to read! Include some good Martha stories!

xo
-J

miss a-train said...

hahaha... I would love to, but I'll save those for our private Martha vs. Rachel convos! God damn Barry Manilow!

Lexie said...

I would also like to give a resounding AMEN to your blog. It sounds like fun and I look forward to more of your posts!

-Lexie

nikola8629 said...

I know this is repetitive but i must also shout AMEN! I found your post refreshing and can't wait to read upcoming posts.

Jeanette said...

yay! that's so exciting! all my recipes are way cheap :) i'm hoping to keep everyone well fed and happy this semester. maybe we'll end up being better cooks than our bosses!

love it!
xoxo
-j

miss a-train said...

I'm so happy to hear that you all like it! Feel free to drop a line about any trends you guys think I missed. Hopefully I'll always be astute enough to pick up on these things, but if not be sure to drop a line!